The early pioneer Fairbury members of the Apostolic Christian Church sought a building where they could worship God. In March 1874, the congregation purchased from the trustees of the Presbyterian Church a white frame building used as a church on Lot 12 in Block 10.
On May 27, 1884, they purchased most of Lot 11 from Mr. and Mrs. Nathan (Lucinda) Shephard. The small house on this lot was connected to the church and used as a kitchen.
On February 10, 1885, they purchased a plot from Albert G. and Malinda Phelps in the Atkins Addition for use as a cemetery.
It is assumed that Jacob VonTobel and Nicholas Keller were the first ministers.
Jacob VonTobel migrated from Meilen, Zurich, Switzerland in 1869, and sent for his fiancee, Katherine Keller, a years or so later. They were married by Elder Brother Rudolph Leuthold on March 19, 1871.
Nicholas Keller came to Woodford County in 1863 and later farmed near Wing in 1869. Due to illness, he moved to Fairbury and engaged in business with his brother, Jacob Keller, and Jacob VonTobel in 1874.
Elder Brother John G. Steidinger migrated in the year 1875 when he was 50 years hold and became the first elder of the Fairbury congregation and the South Church.
In 1890, the church building facilities were inadequate for the growing congregation. In 1892, the church collected money towards building a new church. The old church was moved from its original foundation with about two-thirds of the building moved in two parts to the other locations of which one part provided a home for the Herzog family. However, the rest of the building was moved to the south edge of the church lot and was used as a horse stable and to house a horse drawn hearse.
The new building was erected on East Walnut Street with a furnace in the basement, having a seating capacity of 340. The south half of the lower floor was used as a dining area and the north half as a Sunday School. Brother John Schieler, who was the minister, was in charge of the building which was finished in 1893.
The congregation continued to worship in the church until the present church was erected. However, the church was remodeled in 1950. Once again, in 1964, realizing the need for additional space and considering the physically poor condition of the building, it was agreed upon by the congregation to build a new house of worship. Construction on the current church on North Fourth Street was started on July 7, 1964, and it was completed in late summer on 1965. Open House was held September 12, 1965 and dedication services was held September 19, 1965.